Fast facts on Reiki –
Here are some key points about Reiki. More detail is in the main article.
• Reiki is a form of energy therapy.
• Despite skepticism in some circles, it is growing in popularity.
• It involves the transfer of energy by laying on hands.
• Reiki’s advocates say it can treat many conditions and emotional states.
• Small studies show that Reiki can slightly reduce pain, but no studies have shown that it is effective in treating any disease.
• Some hospitals in America and Europe offer Reiki, but insurance rarely covers it.
• The word “Reiki” means “mysterious atmosphere, miraculous sign.” It comes from the Japanese words “rei” (universal) and “ki” (life energy). Reiki is a type of energy healing.
• Energy healing targets the energy fields around the body.
• According to practitioners, energy can stagnate in the body where there has been physical injury or possibly emotional pain. In time, these energy blocks can cause illness.
• Energy medicine aims to help the flow of energy and remove blocks in a similar way to acupuncture or acupressure. Improving the flow of energy around the body, say, practitioners, can enable relaxation, reduce pain, speed healing, and reduce other symptoms of illness
• Dowsing is a pseudoscience, and there is no scientific evidence that it is any more effective than random chance. Dowsers often achieve good results because random chance has a high probability of finding water in favorable terrain.
• Dowsing for health, with a crystal pendulum, is based on the same principle; it is a therapy used to locate the underlying cause of bodily or emotional imbalance that leads to ailments and physical reactions such as allergies or disease.