Bond With Your Elderly Parents- 7 Ways to Strengthen the Bond
Love and Embrace your Parents! As we often forget they also are growing old!
Parents love their children selflessly and unconditionally. So when they grow old it is our duty and responsibility to take care of them, love them and fulfil their wishes. Now it is our time to return their favors by doing things they have done for us when we were small. We should try to build a strong bond with our parents. We should encourage them, support them, and establish a personal connection with them. Make them feel and realize that how important are they for us.
A man named Anish was very much worried about his ageing parents at home. His parents were very difficult to handle. They used to nag and whine every time. He was in a lot of tension. Then Anish met a Senior Citizen Specialist who counselled his parents and told the ways how to handle them, make them happy. The specialist told Anish that he should spend time with them and know what are causing them troubles. Build a strong connection with them. Now Anish is happily living with them.
Here are 7 Ways to strengthen your bond with Elderly Parents:
- Spend Time with your Parents: No matter how much busy you are in your life or what position you should always take out time for your parents. Take them out for excursions or to new places so that they can enjoy. Take them out to their favorite place or favorite restaurant. Plan a whole day activity with them so they can feel that you truly care and value them. If they don’t like going out then you can cook their favorite meal, watch old movies, talk about your childhood etc.
- Share your problems with them: Your elderly parents may not tell you but you should always take advice from them if you don’t know how to solve them. Because they are experienced people and they know the ways of the world. By taking their advice and following them, they will feel that their views and opinions matter to them. Share your woes and problems with them. You will feel good.
- Look for a common hobby: Talking with them can be good and productive at times. Because as we talk and know more about them. You can find out their hobbies and interests which can match with them. Like cooking or going to new places, or playing a game. You can do it together with them and relive the moments.
- Learn about their Medical History: You must know your their medical history. Because if you are unaware of their medical condition they may find it difficult to express it to you. Take them to a doctor for regular checkups. Learn about all the important details of their medical ailments so that you can take care of them properly and plan their diet accordingly.
- Have Fun with them: As they grow old they tend to forget things. Many elders are at risk of developing dementia. Engage your elderly parents in mental activities or exercise so that they could enjoy it as well as it is good for their mental health. It would also enhance their memory power. For example, you can click photos, make memories and stick them to a scrapbook.
- Have a get together with other family members: Meeting other members of the family at one place what’s more good than that. In this way, they can interact and connect with the people and know about their whereabouts. Having fun with families and friends will make them happy.
- Encourage them to be active: With time, Elderly people stop coming out of the house and isolate themselves in one place. You should try to make them socially active and physically fit. Motivate them to do an exercise or take a walk. Help them to join senior member groups, church or community centers so that they can connect with people of their age. Find out about the activities planned for senior citizens and encourage them to participate in them. In this way their mood, endurance and strength will be balanced.
These are some of the ways to take care of your elderly parents and make a bond with them. Spending time with them is the most important thing. This time which you spend with your parents is never going to come back again. Changes your elderly parents are going through can be emotionally challenging. You may feel frustrated. But in the end, they are your parents you have to maintain a strong, healthy relationship with them.
Want to strengthen your bond with your Parents? Don’t know how to do it! Well, here we are. We at The Holistic Living with the guidance of different experts will assist you in your problems. If you need any valuable products then you can check out the wellness store. “There is no perfect way to take care of an elderly parent except with the most love and patience you can muster on them.”